Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
131 Doctors are Online

Bone deformity and loss of weight - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 13-Jan-2012
User rating for this question
Excellent Posted in: Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 3609 Questions
User :   my son is 8 years old. med. hx. ADHD. on focalin xr and clonidine. speech delay noted at 3 yrs of age. I noticed I large boney potrusion at is lower back, in his pelvic region. On the right side there are 4 large lumps arching over his buttock are starting at the base of his spine. now on the left side more are forming. They hard hard. They feel like bone. At first he said there was no pain, but now he is starting to complain of tenderness on the larger side. it is growing. He is scheduled for a cat scan, and cbc. His weight suddenly shifted shortly after the lumps were found. Last month he was 56 pounds. Today he weighed in at 48 pounds. He eats. this is not from appetite from suppression. I feed him constantly including giving him boost and oral daily vitamins. My worry that this might be osteo sarcoma or osteo blastoma. Are any of these types of cancer known to manifest this way?
Doctor :   hi
Doctor :  
Doctor :  
please give me some time to read through what you have typed
User :   okay thank you
Doctor :   the bone cancers can present in any ways
Doctor :  
usually they affect the long bone first depending on the type of cancer they are
Doctor :  
your son has mainly the lesions in back
Doctor :  
an MRI will be more appropriate to difrentiate
Doctor :  
and also know the extent and if any the involvement of the other tissues
User :   yes, he his legs are also growing wrong. the top part of his leg is growing outward, and the lower leg is growing tilted causing him to be knock knee
Doctor :   ok
Doctor :  
he will need MRI of back, thighs and knees and legs to see wht the extent is
Doctor :  
if the MRI shows tumor growth
Doctor :  
the a biiospy will be done from the lesions
Doctor :  
to see what type of cancer it is
Doctor :  
and then depending on the cell type the treatment will be started.
User :   okay thank you. This gives me an idea of what to expect. So, the cat will be done first then cbc and then most likely if it is felt we are dealing with tumors they will move to MRI. Am i understanding correctly?
Doctor :  
WWW.WWWW.WW Doctor :   you can go through this link to know more about it
Doctor :  
MRI, is better than cat scan
Doctor :  
long with a CBC
Doctor :  
and then the biopsy of the lesions
Doctor :  
MRI and CBC should be done simultatneously
User :   Okay I see. Thank you. Thank you so much for helping me to know what direction to go. I will look at the link thank you so much for your time.
Doctor :  
have you followed what i have said?
Doctor :  
Is there any thing else I can help you with?
User :   yes. should do the MRI simultatneously with CBC then go to biopsy to determine tx. Correct?
Doctor :   yes
User :   Thank you docotor. have a good evening you have been a great help.
Doctor :  
Please fill the feedback form, and comment box, and say done when done.
User :   done thank you.
Doctor :   Thanks for consulting HealthcareMagic. Bye for now.Please chat with our doctors 24/7 for medical queries. Please refer your friends to our service.
User :   I will..most definitely. good night sir.
Doctor :   goodnight
Doctor :  
thanks for consulting us
Question is related to
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor