2 yr old not gaining adequate weight - Online Doctor Chats
How can I help you?
My baby will be 2 years next month,
her weight is 11 kgs, it is normal
May I know her weight at birth?
From last week, she is not eating food properly
Her current weight is within limits
you need not worry about it.
ok, she takes in month and throws all out.
Does she voluntarily throws out or does she vomit?
No she does not vomits
Is your child active?
Please suggest if any tonics to be given
yes, she is very active
she looks tall and a bit thin,thats y was worried
Children at her age is common have this issue.
I mean almost all parents face this problem
and almost all cases, every child outgrows this.
i see babies of her age, they are quite healthy
Children at this age usually like to eat and play of their own choice
so I advice all my patients not to force adult food or adult activities to children.
Let me put this across in simple words.
if you please, suggest a tonic for her to feel hungry.
We as an adult are used to eat at regular intervals as our neurological system is trained to behave this way.
or if you could help with a diet chart for her
As this behaviour takes time to develop, children often do not wish to eat at regular meal time.
Parents are advised to tune the system accordingly, which in almost every child takes time.
no tonic as such?
No tonics or medication may successfully help here.
worm infestation may contribute to
reduced appetite and reduced weight.
You can get a prescription of antihelminthics such as albendazole
from your doctor.
This can be given in two doses - one currently and another dose a week later
This schedule will take care of any worm infestation and help your child eat well and grow well.
wat abt pediasure
Pediasure is a nutritional supplement.
you can give them, but that would not increase her appetite.
The child will outgrow the problem, so do not worry.
My current suggestions to you are
1. Do not force any diet to your child.
This will only worsen the situation.
2. Children usually like everything new - so a different diet with different taste will make then eat well.
so you need to be changing your menu very often.
ok, i will do that
hunger and feeding habits take time
and as the body hunger system is not tuned,
do not feed at usual times as us adult
instead, you can try to feed her when she is hungry.
4. Avoid high calorie diet such as sweets and chocolates.
High calorie diet take time for absorption
and hence reduces appetite
can i give one egg per day?
5. Let the diet be mixture of fruits, vegetables, egg, meal and other non vegetarian diet.
6. You can supplement additionally with pediasure or other nutritional supplement
if you feel her nutrition is not good.
6. Keep her weight monitored.
nutritional suppliment would be
this link has a weight calculator for children
which can give you a rough estimate of body weight
If her weight is under the limits
and not improving,
Have you followed what I have suggested?
Do you have any other query?
nutritional suppliment as in
They are only supplements and not alternatives to oral diet.
which includess bournvita too right?
ok, got it
Is there any other query?
no, thats it
Thanks for consulting me.
thanks a lot
Bye for now.
Related questions you may be interested in
Recent questions on
People also viewed
- 9 year old puberty signs
- 30 month old developmental milestones
- 2yr old with hiccups
- Bronchitis 2 yr old
- Treatment and cure for infection vs cancer
- 2 yr old hiccups
- 2 yr olds temp
- 2 yr old kidpred
- Treatment and cure for chylous ascites
- Ideal height weight ratio for women
- Treatment and cure for chronic congestion
- Treatment and cure for serratus anterior paralysis
- Treatment and cure for present thyroid disease
- Foods to eat to grow tall
- 15 year old boy average height