In cases with flexible arches the arch will be present when the patient is not bearing any kind of weight at all but as he starts walking or bears any kind of weight on that feet the arch disappears and feet will flatten. Patients with flat feet will generally suffer from chronic fatigue which on the other hand can interfere with activities of daily living and work. Few patients may even avoid exercises as the feet may hurt while doing so which makes them more prone to get heart diseases. Flat feet may result in odd position of a person’s lower joints. The stress the person feels in keeping the joint in the favorable position can cause osteoarthritis, chronic joint pain and stress fractures of the bones of the foot.
Symptoms & Signs
- Few patients have the congenital calcaneal valgus
- Calcaneal Valgus can also be caused by trauma to the foot or due to some injury
- Sometimes fractures may lead to flat feet
- It there is rupture of the posterior tibial tendon which lies in the back of the lower leg person may develop calcaneal valgus
- Long term effects of the condition include arthritic changes in the feet. With time the changes can increase in severity demanding the foot reconstruction surgery.
- Some patients may complain of sore, tired feet after a day of standing.
- Patients may frequently have pain in the knee, hip, and low back
- In some cases the leg may turn thus increasing stress on the inside part of the knee
- Few patients develop poor positioning of the hips and swaying of the back which may lead to pain in affected areas.
- Few other patients may develop plantar fasciitis which is the inflammation of the fibrous tissue of the feet.
- Patients with flat feet may develop bunions and hammertoes
Diagnosis and Investigations
Clinical Examination is the best method in which the heel of the patient will show pronation while seeing from behind.
Treatment and Medications
- Special shoes supporting the arch are considered good for the patients
- Shoes inlays are available over the counter in drug stores
- Orthotics can be used which are customized to the patients feet
- Few patients are prescribed surgical correction of the feet if the condition worsens
- Regular follow up is advised to such patients